Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing the Shoulders.

Citizen Cope

Country
    This is Zere's Country Flag

Fixing the Shoulders.

Whatsup Fellas?

Over the next few months this thread will be a pretty detailed log of my thoughts plans and accomplishments on the road to recovery from shoulder surgery. Any advice, reading material, or encouragement, much appreciated.

History:

I've had poor posture all my life. From the countless hours I spent hunched over my desk asleep at school, to the even more countless hours i spent on this addiction machine they call a computer. This has lead to the downfall of my upper body, particularly my shoulders. In combination with the fact that I've been surfing since I was 12, without doing any opposing motions to complement the surfing motions. So I have significant muscle imbalances as a result of the surfing. Everything felt fine though, till a few years ago, can't be sure on the exact time frame. Surfing in the winter with a thick wetsuit on paddling hard for a good size wave I felt my shoulder "move". It didn't dislocate, but it moved. Later i learned this is called a subluxation Once this starts, it doesn't stop, especially untreated. Things became worse and worse and it began to happen more frequently until my shoulder finally legitimately dislocated and I had to relocate it myself in the water. Time for a doctor visit. My family practice doctor told me "that just happens to some people" and that I just have to put it back in place and keep going. 20 Painful dislocations later I got to go to an orthopedic surgeon. After physical therapy was basically no help, I got an MRI. Tear in my labrum, but not that big of a deal physical therapy may fix the problem. It didn't. Time for surgery. Surgery in December, sweet christmas, more physical therapy at the same place. 4 months later I got back to my passion, surfing. Too early, I believe you are supposed to wait 6 months. Later on that summer got into a fight. Not sure exactly how, but my shoulder dislocated pretty fucking easy. Physical therapy, started surfing earlier than I was supposed to again. Surfed all that winter fine, summertime. It's been over a year now since that dislocation, I'm drunk rough housing with my friends and all of a sudden my shoulder pops out. I'm in shock I thought the problem was fixed! I had been doing my physical therapy THE ENTIRE TIME. Get another MRI, another tear, but should heal on its own. 3 months later I'm getting dressed for school i have my hand on the shirt rack, I turn and sneeze violently, apparently it was a pretty awkward position for my shoulder. Instead of going to take an exam i spend 2 hours in the ER with an incompetent doctor yanking on my arm with all his weight telling me to relax. The morphine did nothing. Someone told me dislocating your shoulder is one of the most painful things you can do without passing out. I believe it. Go to the doctor, "you know what this means", "yup, surgery". December 19th arthroscopic repair of my ligament again. Here I am now, 20 days away.

What I think I Did Wrong the First Time(s):

- Not enough healing time
    - Physical therapists strengthen the muscles around the shoulder, but do not fix the problem that caused dislocation.
    - Not keeping the arm in a sling long enough

How I'm Going to do it Right This Time:

- Read, Read, Read. It's up to everyone to be their own best doctor.
    - Wait the full months and do it right
    - Try to find a better physical therapist
    - Eat organic! most foods are lacking the proper nutrients to repair your body sufficiently and correctly.
    - Correct the PROBLEM not just the injury.
    - Cut down on the alcohol, a lot.

Medical Problems I Believe Contribute to My Injury:

- Kyphosis
    - Winged Scapula
    - Rounded Shoulders

That's enough for this post. More to come soon.
    Ninjashoes 2008 Chess Champion.
    Ninjashoes 2008 Fantasy Football Champion.

FREE MONEY!!!

you sign up, get 10 free cents to bet on all kinds of sports, get to 20 dollars you can cash out real money. If you lose the 10 cents they give you 10 more cents for free.

http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=182035

Cognizant day-dreamer

Country
    This is Bloodshot {ADR}'s Country Flag

Reading that post at first made me straighten up my posture a lil. and that shoulder story made me cringe. Best wishes getting that fixed up for you man. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger so you're going to be one tough bastard when this is done and over with. :P
    "Live as a man. Die as a man. Become a man."

Citizen Cope

Country

Paul Chek:

After reading a lot about Paul Chek in a surfing magazine, and what he has done for some surfers, I decided to investigate further. I found a lot of people consider him to be one of the best healers in the business and I enjoyed reading his work. I decided to purchase his book, “How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy!” I recommend it to everyone. I’m definitely buying into what he is saying and everything makes sense to me. Based on his book I have began stretching every day, and trying to switch to organic foods. It is important that I get the proper ratio of omega 3 fatty acids to repair my ligament correctly after surgery. Not to mention the hundreds of other benefits to eating organic. Another thing I am buying into from him is his abdominal material. A saying he used in the book is that “you can’t fire a cannon from a canoe”. All movement is initiated from your core, and if you have a weak core, you aren’t going to move properly, and cause injury. My core is weak. He also goes into some detail about proper core training, and how just doing sit-ups and crunches will lead to injury, AND POOR POSTURE. Sit-ups and crunches is the only ab work I’ve done in my life. Hopefully proper training of the core will result in a 6 pack in the process haha. Not counting on it, doing a bunch of queer movements on a swiss ball isn’t very manly, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Summary:

Based on reading Paul Chek’s book, I will now be trying to eat organic as much as possible, and training my core properly.

FREE MONEY!!!

you sign up, get 10 free cents to bet on all kinds of sports, get to 20 dollars you can cash out real money. If you lose the 10 cents they give you 10 more cents for free.

Citizen Cope

Country

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot {ADR} View Post
    Reading that post at first made me straighten up my posture a lil. and that shoulder story made me cringe. Best wishes getting that fixed up for you man. What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger so you're going to be one tough bastard when this is done and over with. :P
    Anyone who uses a computer on a regular basis probably needs some help in the posture area, I'll be going into that more when I get some time. I think the most dangerous dislocation I ever had was surfing one winter when the water was around 40 degrees. The waves were BIG. Big for the east coast anyway, it was a couple feet overhead, and like I said, cold. A set comes marching through, and me being kinda young I go balls out for the first wave right at the crest of the wave when I'm about to stand the shoulder pops out. I had a hard time getting it back in and took the rest of the set on the head while trying to wrastle my shoulder back into place. It was scary and very dangerous.

FREE MONEY!!!

Cognizant day-dreamer

Country

Quote Originally Posted by Zere View Post
    Anyone who uses a computer on a regular basis probably needs some help in the posture area, I'll be going into that more when I get some time.

I know my posture is terrible.

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 0:

Itís Saturday night and Iím not hammered drunk? What the fuck? Responsibility sucks. I made a pact to significantly cut down on my drinking when I woke up last Sunday morning. I had 0 beers over thanksgiving and had 3 when I went out last night. If I do drink at all within the next week, it wonít be a large amount. Alcohol is terrible for you in more ways than can be counted. Well tomorrow is the start of the prehab, going to attempt to strengthen my shoulder areas before the surgery; so I recover more quickly, and better. Also tomorrow I plan to write-up a workout plan to help to fix some of the issues I have, mostly addressing the core and back muscles. When I wake up in the morning Iím going to measure my height, weight, body fat %, and take some pictures for a before and after comparison. My prehab will consist of physical therapy exercises I was doing to strengthen my shoulder before the most recent dislocation. Iíll also try to do some reading to educate myself further, trying to narrow down what exercises to do and what exactly my problems are.

Tomorrow:

-Height, Weight, BF%, Pictures
    -Prehab
    -Workout Plan

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 1:

Today I did the PT routine which my last physical therapist drew up for me, not sure of the technical name for all the exercises but here they are:

With a theraband:
    -Horizontal pull
    -First 4 exercises in this video
    Normal Weights:
    -Bent over arm extensions to the side
    -Bent over arm extensions to the back
    -Rolling the ABCs with a tennis ball on the wall
    -Pushups leaning on a wall
    -Blackburns and variations from the video

The blackburns I realized I might be doing them wrong, especially after watching that video. I was doing them with 5 pounds but I don’t think my back muscles were engaging before, and when I tried really hard to engage my back muscles certain motions in the exercises were a lot harder. I think this might also indicate some shoulder impingement, not sure will read more.

I got to measure my height and weight and body fat, not going to put any pics on here.

Height: 6’1
    Weight: 165 (Don’t laugh I was up to 185 before the injury took me out of the squat rack)
    Body Fat: 12%

Lots of wok to do.

I didn’t get to write-up my workout plan, busy with school and whatnot, hopefully I can do the reading and tests I want to do tomorrow and get that going since I don’t have long before surgery.

Tomorrow:

-Workout Plan
    -Core work

FREE MONEY!!!

Cognizant day-dreamer

Country

keep on logging, I'll keep reading.

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 3:

Exam time at school, super busy. Still didn’t get the workout plan done. Did core work and stretched.

Tomorrow:

-Workout Plan
    -Physical Therapy

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 4:

Stretched, physical therapy, addressed a muscle imbalance. I decided to do some tests located on here to determine if I had a winging scapula, and what caused it. I didnít do all of the tests yet but the very first one I had an issue with. The first test showed my left shoulder blade very winged (this is the one I have the main problems with), and my right one probably to an extent too. This website said that this is due to loss of serratus anterior muscle function. So I did some research on training this muscle. I found this article by Eric Cressey, which is a great and helpful article. So I decided to incorporate some extra exercise at the end of my physical therapy, the shoulder saver #2 in this article. I added both the exercises he recommended, with the dumbbell punch only on the left shoulder since it seems like it needs more work.

So today I did:
    - my standard resistance band excercises
    - same extensions I normally do
    - some curls (the long head of my bicep acts up on occasion, although it hasnít in awhile)
    - scapular pushup (1 set of 10)
    - 1-arm dumbbell protraction (2sets x 10 reps x 15lb)

I know the exercise log isnít very detailed here, but it is in my notebook, I donít have time till after the semester to write-up everything.

Tomorrow:
    - More extensive core work
    - Test for other muscle imbalances/shoulder issues

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 5

Core and Stretched. Wasted the rest of my day.

Tomorrow:

- Lots of physical therapy

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 5

Stretched, Did a couple different physical therapy routines. Added shrugs, figure 8s, "swords". I'll look up the technicaly name and add weights soon I swear. Lol.

Tomorrow:

- More PT
    - Stretch
    - Read a few more articles on proper posture

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 6

Alcohol

Day 7

Stretched and did physical therapy routine focusing on the serratus anterior. Right now I'm wondering (and doubting) if I will see a change in the winged scapula problem before surgery. Probably not.

Tomorrow:

-Rest upper body i think everything is sore
    -Core

FREE MONEY!!!

Cognizant day-dreamer

Country

lol at day dedicated to booze.

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 8

Stretch and Core. Anyone got any insight on how long after surgery it would be ok to do some small amounts of exercise not on the shoulder. Like say a stationary bike or some body weight squats?

Tomorrow

-Physical Therapy
    -Read on Posture

FREE MONEY!!!

Citizen Cope

Country

Day 9

Stretch. Did a short PT routine. My muscles constantly sore either from constantly trying to have correct posture or consistently doing PT. Surgery in 1 week and 4 days.

Tomorrow

-Dunno depends how I feel.

FREE MONEY!!!

Biceptual

Country
    This is YouFrgotPoland's Country Flag

This is very interesting to me, because I have shoulder problems as well, however I'm not sure of the severity. Both my shoulders pop (quite loudly sometimes) if I do just about ANY kind of shoulder exercise. Many times they pop if I do nothing more than raise my arm above my head or vise versa. However, there is never any pain, just irritating noises that make me cringe a bit. I think I probably have had a lot of the subluxations that you experienced, but was unaware of the term until just now so thank you. I had written a lot of it off as maybe just from the terrible dorm room bed I slept on last year, but I'm not sure. It could be from many long years of wrestling.

I hope your recovery turns out to be as best as possible.

Citizen Cope

Country

I'm pretty sure you have shoulder impingement. I'm not gonna write anything about that until after my surgery because of my ridiculous exam schedule. But That's one of the things I'll be looking into.

FREE MONEY!!!

Biceptual

Country
    This is YouFrgotPoland's Country Flag

I will have to look that up, thanks.

Citizen Cope

Country

Phew, been awhile. School exams suck. One week to go.

Day 10-12

Nothing, Exams

Day 13

Stretch and did one of my physical therapy routines that I call "PT3". It consists of the theraband excercises from a video i posted above. And some other things:

Theraband: 6 excercises for 20 reps
    Bent over extension to the side: 1 set of 15 reps with 1lb
    Bent over extension to the back: 1x15x1
    Wall Circles and diagonals: 1 set of 20 reps (each movement) with a basketball
    Wall ABCs: With basketball
    Pushups with stability ball: 1 set 10 reps girl style
    Blackburns: 4 sets of 6 seconds stationary in each positon with 1lb
    --the positions for blackburns (all laying on belly and trying to engage back as much as possible)
    -position 1: hands straight out in front like superman
    -position 2: same as 1, but with thumbs point in the air
    -position 3: Arms making a "Y" with body
    -position 4: Same as 3 but with thumbs pointed up
    -position 5: Arms straight back like im free falling out of a plane
    -position 6: elbows at side but bent as if making a "V" with each arm

blah blah blah.

On a sidenote, today officially started my 30 days of no alcohol and trying to as close to 100% organic as possible. This is going to be a tough challenge for sure.

Tomorrow

-Stretch and 2 more PT routines.

FREE MONEY!!!