Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone learn how to box at home without a trainer?

War Fedro!

Country
    This is RNCworldwide's Country Flag

Can someone learn how to box at home without a trainer?

I don't mean be an incredibly technical boxer, but just learn the basics to a point that should he then join a boxing gym, he doesn't have to start over again.

Had a argument with a friend since there are scarcely any boxing gyms near where we live (the closest one is 45 kms away) and with regular jobs and all, there is no way we can get to it daily.

And if the answer is a yes, how does one go about doing it? Any suggestions? How much space in a room is needed, etc ...

Sneaky Fucker

Country
    This is Beets's Country Flag

well you could train with your friend - go to a gym learn a few routines and then hold pads with each other

i reckon if you were going to a gym once a week and holding pads with each other daily you will progress pretty well.

as far as space needed 4m x 4m of clear floor space is enough and a set of focus mitts also dl some instructionals.
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/db32m

Daniel

Country
    This is ninjashoes's Country Flag

Blog Entries

hell no

you can at least work on your power an punching endurance, you can improve your footwork too if you learn to shadowbox correctly

I dont think so anyway. Maybe you can build somekind of machine that can help you practice slipping punches. I heard Bruce Lee had a machine that would shoot out these little arms that would electrify him. Theres alot of BS surrounding Bruce Lee though so that might not even be true.

Bottom line is that you may be able to hone certain skills but for the most part unless you get actual training with real sparring partners you won't improve much and may even gain alot of weird habits that are hard to reverse.

The End of Days Podcast is hosted by Resin and Ninjashoes
    Check out EndofDaysRadio.com or click here to listen

WAR Mitch Clarke!

War Fedro!

Country

Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, that's what we figured as well. Mainly the issue out here (India) is that there is almost no focus on boxing as a sport and the number of gyms that have even a rudimentary boxing bag are basically in single digits. Most of the gyms here are for people wanting to look good the next time they take their shirts off. Not judging, but its pretty sad ...

Daniel

Country

Blog Entries

I actually do alot of visualization and shadowboxing when I am at home. I think I have decent power and endurance from doing punchout drills but hitting a moving target who is trying to hit you back is a different story.

WAR Mitch Clarke!

War Fedro!

Country

Yeah. I've always wanted to go and train boxing/ muay thai but didn't want to go as a complete beginner all the way to Thailand or somewhere cause I don't know if that's the most productive way to do things ...

Buttsketeer

Quote Originally Posted by RNCworldwide View Post
    Yeah. I've always wanted to go and train boxing/ muay thai but didn't want to go as a complete beginner all the way to Thailand or somewhere cause I don't know if that's the most productive way to do things ...
    If you do go absolutely fresh to as you said Thailand, the advantage is that you'll be taught properly from the beginning and you won't have developed any bad habits.

Thanks Bob (my father)

War Fedro!

Country

True. Just that once I come back, even if I stay there for a month, how do I keep up that skill level, you know ... Not that I won't go if there is no other alternative, just that sometimes, it seems pretty tough to plan the afters ...

Uninspirational

Country
    This is Radar's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RNCworldwide View Post
    True. Just that once I come back, even if I stay there for a month, how do I keep up that skill level, you know ... Not that I won't go if there is no other alternative, just that sometimes, it seems pretty tough to plan the afters ...
    at the very least, it's an experience. You'll learn a lot, get exercise, and you can tick it off your "things to do" list.

There's a million gyms over there that take in foreigners of all levels, so stop thinking about it and just go ahead and do it.

If you need any decent gym names please let me know.

Buttsketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    at the very least, it's an experience. You'll learn a lot, get exercise, and you can tick it off your "things to do" list.

There's a million gyms over there that take in foreigners of all levels, so stop thinking about it and just go ahead and do it.

If you need any decent gym names please let me know.
    Factor in that you live in India which makes getting to Thailand easier than for us folk who have to cross oceans and really as Radar said, it'll be an experience.

Thanks Bob (my father)

Uninspirational

Country

...or you could come to Melbourne on a student Visa

Daniel

Country

Blog Entries

I would recommend working on your technique at home. Thats one thing that will make a huge difference that you can do on your own with no coach or training partner. Get some books that describe proper punching technique and then watch youtube vids and stuff like that for more tutorials. Work on the basics first like how to throw a proper jab, hook, cross etc and then start combining them together.

Tao of Jeet Kune Do is actually a good book for learning the basic philosophy behind striking combat and how technique honing is best practiced.

Also check out Freddie Roach's instructional vids

WAR Mitch Clarke!

Uninspirational

Country

I spent 70 bucks on a private session and learned how to jab, hook and cross in that time - add that knowledge to a dvd and you'll go okay if you're fighting in the pub

War Fedro!

Country

Awesome! :) yeah I might pop into Sydney for a couple of weeks for work and see if I can get some lessons in the evening out there.

Thailand is definitely something I am doing before July. You're right, guys, I should just stop thinking so much and do it. With the shorter distance, hell, I might go there once every 4 months or so if I plan right ...

Boxing Troll

Country
    This is ItBurnzWhenIP's Country Flag

If nothing else what Ninja said is true. Shadowboxing can be an awesome help for developing good balance when punching in combination and if you make sure to focus and visualize what you're doing while you do it you can develop good fundamentals for punching with power. Punchers are born not taught. You think guys like Marciano, Jack Dempsey and Pacquiao had coaches teach them to hit like a ton of bricks? Or did their coaches refine their technique and develop their other skills and defense. It's the latter.

Defense is one thing you really can't train at home as your head movement is something you develop over long years of practice slipping punches.
    #1 DIEGO "CHICO" CORRALES NUTHUGGER FOR ETERNITY!!

"GIMME ONE ROUND!"
    -Chico

Refusing to subscribe to the crap posting revolution

According to a BMA study around 82% of men who took part in the vicious fights were gay before they started and another 12% became gay during their first fight.

The remaining 6% took part in cage fighting because they wanted to beat up gay men.

Daniel

Country

Blog Entries

You can learn a little defense in the sense that you learn to move quickly in and out by combining your punching combinations with good footwork. Practice taking a step forward, throwing a quick combo and then taking a step backwards as quickly as you can in a defensive posture. You will get faster and faster at it.

This is like the most basic movement in striking an you will be surpised how hard it is to do when you havent developed that kind of coordination at all.

but yeah as far as ducking and slipping punches(and a ton of other stuff) thats what you need sparring partners for, now way around that

WAR Mitch Clarke!

Buttsketeer

Video tape yourself shadow boxing or working the bag and it'll help assess your form. Post it here and we can help as well.

Thanks Bob (my father)

Uninspirational

Country

and make sure you don't wear a shirt

and look into the camera

Daniel

Country

Blog Entries

Another reason why you need to have training partners because striking is psychological as well as reflexive. You need to learn to fake people out and avoid stepping into others traps.

WAR Mitch Clarke!

War Fedro!

Country

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    and make sure you don't wear a shirt
    Don't know if the world is ready for that ...