Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: What's the last book you read?

Subjective Witness

Country
    This is Bloodshot {ADR}'s Country Flag

My favorite character just died. I read it during my waking hours so I wasn't really into the story, reading about this character for months I should have been more awe struck, but it was either poorly written or I needed a cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by arokido View Post
    King James Bible.
    Good read, only version I own. I hate dumbed down new age versions. It cuts out room for interpretation when you reinterpret it. Given, it was written in languages before english, I just find the most raw form the most relevant.

Bill Hicks said it the best with criticism toward that "what God MEANT to say was.."

"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing." - Aristotle

King James Corinthians 8:10-15, St. Luke 18:29-33 St Luke 14:27-30, St Luke 9:3-5, St Luke 8:5, St Luke 8:22-25, St Luke 8:46, St Luke 8:17, Isaiah 61:8, Philippians 4:11, Mark 12:31, Matthew 6:33, Lamentations 3:39, Matthew 19:20

Subjective Witness

Country

Quote Originally Posted by fella View Post
    You are not your Brain

Ended up being very disappointed in this book even though it's on many must read lists and has good ratings.

Had to more or less just skim the last 1/3 of the book because it just wasn't doing anything for me. I couldn't get past the referring to part of the brain as the "Uh Oh" zone amongst other reoccurring phrases and labels. This turned out to be more of a self-help book than anything. I wasn't looking for a self-help book but figured I'd at least learn something from it.

I cannot personally recommend this book to anyone.
    If you're going to pick up a book, atleast follow through..

King James Corinthians 8:10-15, St. Luke 18:29-33 St Luke 14:27-30, St Luke 9:3-5, St Luke 8:5, St Luke 8:22-25, St Luke 8:46, St Luke 8:17, Isaiah 61:8, Philippians 4:11, Mark 12:31, Matthew 6:33, Lamentations 3:39, Matthew 19:20

Subjective Witness

Country

This kind of shit why i dont trust alot of female book reviews. Just because the author is a woman makes it a great book!

I don't care who writes a book, but if you speak about the author as being an "empowering woman" you're bias..

Subjective Witness

Country

Under the same idealology maybe that's why i praise literature from Huxley, McKenna and Hunter Thompson..

Really looking forward to reading "Brotherhood of the screaming abyss" by Dennis Mckenna, "The Island" by Aldous Huxley and "Fear In Loathing In Las Vegas" by Hunter.

Subjective Witness

Country

Stephen King has a son, and this book is on my list..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZhpPDJSj5Q

He looks so much like his dad it's creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodshot {ADR} View Post
    If you're going to pick up a book, atleast follow through..
    Really?

Have you never started reading a book only to find out that it's not for you? Or you definitely have but don't choose to post about it? I always have 2-3 books going at the same time of different genres even though I don't have a lot of free time to dedicate to reading. I'm just a good reader. I need all of the books I'm reading to do something for me and this particular book was not. At least I didn't judge the book by it's cover, right?

I enjoy 99% of the books I start and finish so I will post more in time.

Subjective Witness

Country

Chapter 1 in part 4 of book 7 is one of my favorite chapters in recent memory. Being chased through those tunnel by that creature in the "underworld" was beautifully written. I had every intention of only reading a chapter and a half before i stumbled upon that.

Subjective Witness

Country

Really?

Have you never started reading a book only to find out that it's not for you? Or you definitely have but don't choose to post about it? I always have 2-3 books going at the same time of different genres even though I don't have a lot of free time to dedicate to reading. I'm just a good reader. I need all of the books I'm reading to do something for me and this particular book was not. At least I didn't judge the book by it's cover, right?

I enjoy 99% of the books I start and finish so I will post more in time.
    Never.

I've read my share of terrible reads. Start to finish, but also some surprise endings. I read too much fiction though, in non fiction the message gets delivered pretty early on in the book in regards to content.

I was being a smartass though, I have no doubt I'll stumble upon something of that nature if I keep at it.

You should write a biography..

Subjective Witness

Country

Chapter 5 part 4 in book 7... Epic, hair on the back of my neck is standing up.

Need to go to sleep, but can't put the book down.

Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything

This is a great book that covers a lot of subject matter. This is a science book so the 'nearly everything' isn't quite that but still covers an interesting range of topics. Never a dull moment and sometimes hard to put down.

Highly recommend

One FC addiction champion

Country
    This is Crunchie's Country Flag

Bill Bryson - A short history of nearly everything

This is a great book that covers a lot of subject matter. This is a science book so the 'nearly everything' isn't quite that but still covers an interesting range of topics. Never a dull moment and sometimes hard to put down.

Highly recommend
    I might get this
    There can only be ONE!

Calender of MMA Events Link
    http://ninjashoes.net/forum/calendar.php

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    I might get this
    I bought the newer illustrated version on either eBay or Amazon used books for like $5. Probably eBay.

This kind of shit why i dont trust alot of female book reviews. Just because the author is a woman makes it a great book!

I don't care who writes a book, but if you speak about the author as being an "empowering woman" you're bias..

Okay curiosity got the best of me and I watched the video.

I'm not sure how you found that video or why you're looking to her for book recommendations but I'm not judging.

I do think you're assuming a lot though. I think you need to know about a person before you can label them as being 'empowering', which she did. You made it sound like she was stating the author was empowering because she was a woman. Empowerment can come in many forms, only to be judged by the reader. An author I find empowering may seem silly to you and vise versa. I don't know anything about you personally but if you're not a young woman I'm guessing there's a good chance your choice of empowering individuals will differ from the reviewer.

All I saw was a girl giving here 2 cents on a few books. Just personal opinions.

Don't judge a book by the reviewer ;)

Immortal Berseker

Country
    This is ninjashoes's Country Flag

Blog Entries

I'm not sure how you found that video or why you're looking to her for book recommendations but I'm not judging.

I do think you're assuming a lot though. I think you need to know about a person before you can label them as being 'empowering', which she did. You made it sound like she was stating the author was empowering because she was a woman. Empowerment can come in many forms, only to be judged by the reader. An author I find empowering may seem silly to you and vise versa. I don't know anything about you personally but if you're not a young woman I'm guessing there's a good chance your choice of empowering individuals will differ from the reviewer.

All I saw was a girl giving here 2 cents on a few books. Just personal opinions.

sounds like there is a small chance you might be female.

In which case I would now like to use this opportunity to ask you to send me some nude pictures.
    Please listen to my radio shows
    The Ninjashoes Show - A show about Pro Wrestling and MMA.
    and
    End of Days Radio: Alpha Edition - A show about well..some F'd up shiot

Subjective Witness

Country

Bro, first of all, don't take shit seriously on the shoes.

Second of all, I was drunk.

Third of all are you drunk?

Fourth of all, I'm drunk.

And the fifth of all (yay fifths) if I said a book was written by an empowering man I'd either be homo or at the very least thinking about it..

Subjective Witness

Country

Subjective Witness

Country

Finished The Dark Tower a couple weeks ago, and an epic, epic ending. Made up for all the cliffhangers throughout the 8 book series. Life has a way of repeating itself

Read The Sun Dog and it wasn't bad, wouldn't recommend it, but it exceeded expectation with the ending..

Currently reading "Mistborn" and the first couple hundred pages have me sucked in. The female main character discovers that most magically attuned people are only attuned in only one kind of magic, she learned she's attuned in both sides of magic and is such defined as a "Mistborn" a very rare thing in "this" world and is about to pursue overthrowing a tyrannical government with a band of criminals.

Subjective Witness

Country

Ninja is a great troll by the way, really does a great job playing off of what he believes he sees in other people.

A good tuck job changed his whole preference...

Subjective Witness

Country

So, I just read this book yesterday written by an empowering white man....

Bro, first of all, don't take shit seriously on the shoes.

Second of all, I was drunk.

Third of all are you drunk?

Fourth of all, I'm drunk.

And the fifth of all (yay fifths) if I said a book was written by an empowering man I'd either be homo or at the very least thinking about it..
    I only really responded because of your statement about 'the author being described as empowering' shows bias and implying the reviewer likes the books because the author is a woman.

I think bias can be detected in almost any lower-tier critics review of movies, books etc. They get too excited apparently.

I've never heard or read of anyone referring to a man as being empowering. Not real common? I tried searching and came up with a bunch of info on anti-Trump artwork from the Obama 'HOPE' artist.

I agree though, not a masculine look
    Last edited by fella; 03-28-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added