Thread: Bernard Hopkins Talks MMA

The Axe Murderer Returns

Country
    This is MMAsterkillah's Country Flag

Blog Entries

Bernard Hopkins Talks MMA

This morning on Jim Rome's radio show The Jungle, Rome interviewed B-Hop about his fight coming up with Winky Wright.

Hopkins was asked if he had any respect for MMA fighters and how he would do if he got in to the cage.

He first got off sounding like your usual boxing elitist asshole by saying (and i'm paraphrasing):

"Boxing is an art and takes skill, MMA is two guys rolling around elbowing each other in the face, guys like Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard would say the same thing. I got respect for them cause their crazy, but guys in Philly fight like that on the streets all the time. Maybe i'm hating, but its just not on the same level as boxing"

Then Jim jumped in to ask him another question and B-Hop said "Hold on Jim, I didn't answer your question about how I would do against them!"

This is where I started felling sick cause i have always been a B-Hop fan, and i was mentally preparing myself for the BS he was going to spew.

B-Hop says (again paraphrasing): "THEY"D WHOOP MY ASS! ALL OF EM', THERE WORST GUY WOULD WHOOP MY ASS! Don't get me wrong, I would try, but i haven't fought like that since prison and when I was a kid."

Props to Hopkins for keeping it real.

I will not remove this sig until Wand is UFC Champion

Rampage, Minotauro Nogueira, Saku, Hunt, Frye, Genki, Ninja, Shogun, IGOR, Aleks, Minowaman, Kharitonov, Henderson, Nick Diaz, Luiz Azeredo, Pele Landi, TK, JZ Calvancanti, Manhoef, JDS, Penn, Kikuchi, Goodridge, Melendez, Yoshiki Takahashi, Ryan Gracie, Thiago Silva, Fujita, SNAKE Diabate, Baroni, Chael Sonnen, McFedries

WAR PATRIOTS

Cachorro Louco

Country
    This is Chickenjorge's Country Flag

haha, that's tight. but i still hate that he doesnt see the art in MMA. it's true that a lot of guys out there are just not technical and it just looks like street fighting. but those are the guys that get nowhere. if MMA woulda been around for thousands of years already (like boxing has) those guys woulda never made it. and that's why boxing is so refined.

MMA is a new sport and a lot of the guys fightiung right now would probably never make it if they were to try let's say a thousand years down the line.

but the elite MMA guys out there (the fedors, shoguns, nogueiras, wanderleis) are not just street fighters, and for them fighting is like an art. to say that "jiu jitsu" means "gentle art" should just give one an idea and help see MMA from a more artistic perspective than just the brutality and the other stereotypes it has been given.

www.jlsscalycritters.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Olson View Post
    You need to work on your cardio so you don't gas during rapes.
    "My fighting style is kneeing people's face"
    -Wanderlei Silva

To Quinton Jackson: "I'm gonna' make you my new Sakuraba!"
    -Wanderlei Silva

Boxing Troll

Country
    This is ItBurnzWhenIP's Country Flag

Hopkins always was the smartest fighter in the ring. Greatest tactical fighter of this generation and still knows it. Managed his own ass all the way to the top and won most all his fights by outthinking his opponents. He was so deep in Felix Trinidad's head he had won the fight before it even began, started a fucking riot in Puerto Rico to get in his mind by throwing their flag on the ground. Trinidad fought the dumbest fight of his life because of it.

War Executioner. He might actually have a chance in the Octogon just by taking somebody out of their gameplan into his by playing with their mind.
    #1 DIEGO "CHICO" CORRALES NUTHUGGER FOR ETERNITY!!

"GIMME ONE ROUND!"
    -Chico

Refusing to subscribe to the crap posting revolution

According to a BMA study around 82% of men who took part in the vicious fights were gay before they started and another 12% became gay during their first fight.

The remaining 6% took part in cage fighting because they wanted to beat up gay men.

easy in the moonlight

Country
    This is Resin's Country Flag

Blog Entries

He said the right things.

WAR WINKY!!!
    RIP Evan Tanner

2 Smokin Gunz

Country
    This is SmokinGunz's Country Flag

WAR HOPKINS!!!!!!!!!!!
    "WHEN THE SMOKE CLEARS, I WILL BE THE LAST MAN STANDING."

NWO 4 LIFE
    TAAR IS THE WAY

The Unknown Orange Ranger

Country
    This is MildernhardPark's Country Flag

Thats Coming Straight from the Source..

Hopkins is realistic. Hopkins doesn't really have a good style to transition to MMA. All of those crafty tricks he picked up would be useless in MMA. He's way too old.
    "Ain't no fighters in England! Dey all BUMS!"
    -James "Lights Out" Toney

"Basketball is a bunch of queers running around playing a n***** ballgame in their underwear"
    -Ty Cobb

Cool guy.. thanks!

Ninjabro

Country
    This is FRITZ Aint no bitch Diaz's Country Flag

I could care less what some boxing ape thinks about mma. Atleast he knows his ass will be handled if he ever fought 'ultimate fighting'

Official Ruben of NS.net

Country
    This is IMAMEX's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Mackey View Post
    I could care less what some boxing ape thinks about mma. Atleast he knows his ass will be handled if he ever fought 'ultimate fighting'
    B-Hop has to stand up for boxing. He said some smart things. on a side note, check this out!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpWo-mSqpAQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bpWo-mSqpAQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    The Greatest of All Time

Ninjabro

Country
    This is FRITZ Aint no bitch Diaz's Country Flag

vic mackey>nutsack

GET SOME!

Country
    This is TBA's Country Flag

MMA is not a street fight. Neither is boxing. In the streets B Hop would do much better than on a mat in the cage IMO. He has some experience with street fights. Jail fights too. B Hop once threw the beatdown on 300+ pound guy that tried to cheat him in a construction / re-model deal.

The boxing skills of most MMA fighters is probably at child level looking through his eyes.

But he is man enough to admit that he would get schooled in the sport of MMA.

P.S. B Hop vs Winky is the boxing match I've wanted to see for a long time. Wrong section of the forum for that subject though.

A pure anything would get killed in MMA. People seem to forget that.
    Pure wrestler, Pure grappler, Pure kickboxer..everything and anything like that.
    But some others have the ability to transition to MMA better than others(Tyson).

"Bingo! how funnn!!"

The Axe Murderer Returns

Country
    This is MMAsterkillah's Country Flag

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ven Tyson View Post
    A pure anything would get killed in MMA. People seem to forget that.
    Pure wrestler, Pure grappler, Pure kickboxer..everything and anything like that.
    But some others have the ability to transition to MMA better than others(Tyson).
    Truth...

But when did Tyson fight MMA?

I will not remove this sig until Wand is UFC Champion

Rampage, Minotauro Nogueira, Saku, Hunt, Frye, Genki, Ninja, Shogun, IGOR, Aleks, Minowaman, Kharitonov, Henderson, Nick Diaz, Luiz Azeredo, Pele Landi, TK, JZ Calvancanti, Manhoef, JDS, Penn, Kikuchi, Goodridge, Melendez, Yoshiki Takahashi, Ryan Gracie, Thiago Silva, Fujita, SNAKE Diabate, Baroni, Chael Sonnen, McFedries

WAR PATRIOTS

Quote Originally Posted by MMAsterkillah View Post
    Truth...

But when did Tyson fight MMA?

shut up. lol.

"Bingo! how funnn!!"