Scotland and the "Right To Roam" law

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
I listened to a podcast about this and found it quite fascinating because it's a 180 turn from the laws here in the USA.

Residents and visitors to Scotland have the right to access most land and inland water including mountains, moorland, woods and forests, grassland, fields, rivers and lochs, coastal areas, most parks and open spaces, golf courses (to cross them), day and night, providing you do so responsibly. You can also undertake pastimes, family and social activities, horse riding, walking, cycling, climbing and wild camping.

Think about that for a second. You can do all those things irrespective of the property owner’s wishes, and by baking it into law it contributes more to a sense of stewardship than ownership, and that’s a philosophy I can get behind.

From what info I've gathered.. as long as you do so respectfully.. you can walk wherever the hell you want. This means you can hop a farmers fence and cut through his field without asking permission. And from what I'm hearing and reading, if spotted by the land owner you'd be more than likely greeted with a wave and a smile than a look of 'WTF do you think you're doing?'.

In the USA, this isn't happening anywhere, anytime, anyhow. If you did this in Texas there's a pretty good chance that you would be shot at first and questioned later (providing it was just a warning shot). There are NO TRESPASSING signs posted on private property in every state. In fact, I posted 12 on our family's land (woods) just last summer. If I went back into our woods and saw someone back there walking about I'd tell them to GTFO and don't come back.

As with all 99% Invisible podcasts.. this is well done and I recommend giving it a listen.
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/right-to-roam/

SO.. @Beets ... I have some questions.

- Is everyone accepting of this law whereas people truly don't get pissed off or do some people just flat out tell you to GTFO?
- Do people do this 'in town' as well or does this only apply to rural areas?
- Do people from other countries exercise this right and do landowners really welcome people to sleep in abandoned buildings on their property? (I forgot what the specific name for the buildings was)

Beets

Yep. Cunts.

AS for the roaming bit - bothies are the shacks you can sleep in.

IT doesnt count if the place is like walled in. So like you cant wander about in someones garden.

Youre not allowed to camp in crops. And theres some places - like loch lomond where theve changed the law because weegies turned up with 96 cans of lager and a throwaway tent and and called the carnage they left behind camping

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
Are all landowners accepting of the law because it's all they've even known or are there some disgruntled folks that try to boot people off. Makes me wonder if someone would return with the police if they were booted off someone's land.

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
Cunts leaving trash when they camp are cunts. The last place I want to see a piece of trash is in the woods or farmers field unless is an old dump spot from decades ago.

Beets

Unless youre doing something stupid nobody is gonna give a shit what youre doing in the wind blown pissing wet field

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
I think you still need to ask permission to metal detect someone's field since there's a 50/50 split with landowner law in place from what I understand.

Beets

NEver been asked to leave anywhere... been advised not to drive up frozen mountain passes though. We went anyway. For a little bit anyway.

Beets

NEver been asked to leave anywhere... been advised not to drive up frozen mountain passes though. We went anyway. For a little bit anyway.

Beets

I think you still need to ask permission to metal detect someone's field since there's a 50/50 split with landowner law in place from what I understand.
YEah digging holes is different. Leave no trace and all that shit. Bet you would get away with it though

Beets

I think madonna had some issue with it. Had a court case or something. But i think thats because people were walking in to take pictures of her

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
With all the history and age of the finds and the possibility of uncovering a hoard, I'd say it would be pretty stupid for someone to do it without asking because things can escalate from 0 to 100 in a spit second.. meaning you could be digging a couple pieces of useless iron one minute then stumble on a hoard on Edward I medieval silver pennies the next and then it would come out you didn't ask and now you've got nothing. There are people who don't give a fuck but most people detecting would go through the proper motions (calling the coroner for anything over 400 yrs old).

I know there are a few nighthawks though for sure.

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
I think madonna had some issue with it. Had a court case or something. But i think thats because people were walking in to take pictures of her
Yup, someone had a run in with her land manager.. He had no idea who's land it was and didn't care... That was mentioned in the podcast and I think they talked to the guy.. he walked from one end of Scotland to the other.