Mayweather vs Pacman - May 2nd!

Revo

Ninjabro
My friends friend met with an executive earlier today who said the Mayweather/Pacman fight is 95% a done deal for May 2nd, and contracts will be signed within a weeks time. Most people are expecting that the fight won't happen and most sports commentators feel the same. Before I heard this news I myself thought it probably wouldn't happen. The fact he says 95% chance makes me feel like it still might not happen, but after speaking to my friend it really sounds like it's pretty much a done deal unless a major player like Arum, Hayman, the fighters themselves, etc., pulls a complete 180.

Revo

Ninjabro
Boys, this deal is done. In fact, they are working out the rematch clause. If Mayweather loses there will be a rematch if he wants one; it will be at his discretion. The thing they are working out is how to split the money for the rematch if Floyd loses. Additionally, Pac's team is trying to get a rematch clause for him too, but it might not fly. Mayweather's is necessary for the fight to take place. The initial fight will be a 60/40 split in favor of Mayweather. It was suppose to take place May 2nd, but now it might be pushed back to June. Either way, this fight is a done deal and will be announced very soon. Both guys are past their prime, but at least they both are and not just one of them. If this fight takes place 5-6 years ago Pac would have had a better chance. Floyd will probably be a 2-1 favorite.

kurleedaddee

Ninjabro
Don't you think it should be 60% for the winner and 40% for the loser? Seems to me like Mayweather is already conceding defeat and wants that other 20% for the one loss on his record.

Revo

Ninjabro
Don't you think it should be 60% for the winner and 40% for the loser? Seems to me like Mayweather is already conceding defeat and wants that other 20% for the one loss on his record.
Mayweather pulls better numbers supposedly and he is undefeated. Pac had to give in to a bunch of stuff to make this happen: take less than 50%, Olympic drug testing, allow Mayweather to have a rematch clause in the contract in case he (Mayweather) losses, etc. Pacman had demonstrated that he wants this fight.

Revo

Ninjabro
If Mayweather gets a rematch clause, it should state that he gets 40% and Pac 60% because he lost
I agree. I don't think this fight is going to happen now. Mayweather is scared of losing to Pacman and tarnishing his perfect record. That's what I am hearing. Pacman/Arum have agreed to all of Mayweather's demands. A few things between HBO and Showtime need to be worked out, but it won't matter unless Mayweather is willing to fight.

Revo

Ninjabro
It's on!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/12355361/floyd-mayweather-announces-fight-manny-pacquiao-set-2

When I started this thread I thought we were going to hear news like this within a week or so. I even began to doubt it was going to happen. My source said it was a 95% likelihood. There was simply too much money on the table to be made by everyone for it not to happen is what he said. My friends source was Stephen Espinoza, Vice President and General Manager of Showtime sports. Looks like they worked out everything every though it took them 6 weeks longer than they originally anticipated.

5 years too late but I think it is still worth watching just for the sake of settling the score. If Manny wants to win, he needs to score a knockout victory. If he leaves his fate to the judges, in my opinion he will definitely lose. But, he can only do that if Floyd will step out of his comfort zone to engage Pacman. Floyd is expected to earn more than the combined take home pay Ali and Razier received in Thrilla in Manila in today's US Dollars so I hope he'll make every rounds worth it. For me, the 5-year negotiation is more like a 5-year promotion and thus, making the fight the richest one in boxing history. What people needs to see now is a showcase of pure skills and strength and not an ordinary sparring match. Who are you guys rooting for?

Squirrel

Half Dead & Dynamite
So is this the last big boxing PPV? I think so.

Who else is there? Boxing will continue to air on network TV and stay there I think.. there will probably be some PPV's still but I think this is the last of the biggies unless something drastic develops