PDA

View Full Version : Wristlocks

aussjj
03-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Hey is there anyone skilled in overall grappling (bjj, wrestling, sub-wrestling, judo, sambo, etc.) that also knows wristlocks?

Are you able to implement them in grappling matches?

Personally, I know a lot of Japanese Jujutsu, and we use wristlocks all the time. But the way we learn them they are meant to be applied against "real" attackers. Not a cautious opponent with a solid striking or grappling stance, but a wild attacker. In other words, it looks like what police do, and it works for those type of scenarios.

On the other hand, I have no official training in overall grappling (bjj, etc.), and so I have had trouble implementing wristlocks against a couple of friends (one wrestles, the other does bjj) and I am really good at wristlocks.

Well, I can apply a wristlock if we are just messing around, or one of them is being stupid, but not when we are competitive. But I've began to pick up pretty good grappling outside of Jjj just from watching mma and wrestling friends/brothers, and as I do I notice that it becomes easier and easier to apply wristlocks because I dont have to worry as much about thrown around.

So, what I'm asking if anyone implements wristlocks into there grappling in a competitive environment? Wristlocks, as I learned them, were developed for self-defense. With a wristlock, you can control someone's arm, disarm them of a weapon, or force them to submit without ever hitting the ground. But what about in a grappling match?

jetjaguar
03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
sweat makes most wrist locks useless on the mat. but they are great for tosing drunks around.

Resin
03-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Wrist locks are good you just need to catch people with them .... this is where aikdo comes to play.

Rob
03-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Wrist locks are good you just need to catch people with them .... this is where aikdo comes to play.

You beat me to it

Rob
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Wristlocks only work on me when I'm in a position where I'm getting armbarred and resisting (arm not extended) so the guy wristlocks me instead. In other words the guy already has control of my arm. To prevent this I hold my hand (palm to palm) so they can't apply the wristlock.

aussjj
03-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Wristlocks only work on me when I'm in a position where I'm getting armbarred and resisting (arm not extended) so the guy wristlocks me instead. In other words the guy already has control of my arm. To prevent this I hold my hand (palm to palm) so they can't apply the wristlock.

thanks, this was the kind of response i was looking for.

i dont need to be told how to use wristlocks or what theyre for, my wristlock knowledge is pretty crazy.
i was simply wondering how they seem to work in grappling matches from guys who know grappling and wristlocks.

personally, i had a hard time using them at first (in grappling), but as i began to pick up wrestling/bjj, i have learned a few ways to apply these sort of street techniques found in jjj (such as wristlocks) in a competitve grappling match.

Resin
03-08-2007, 08:35 AM

That is the only time i ever use wrist-locks when my opponent is fighting off the armbar i go right to a wrist lock to break it or transition to another move i already use in my game.

jetjaguar
03-08-2007, 08:37 AM
if you hold your lapel, belt, or other hand ,even if your in a bad position , you should be able to resist most wrist locks

aussjj
03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
if an arm is isolated, but you cant get a lock, triangle, or whatever, there are a number of ways i have learned to use wristlocks.

from a clinch, ive found it pretty difficult. not if someone is being wild, but if theyre hunched over in wrestling posture. attempting a wristlock from a clinch will usually result in the other person tightening there grip, then grabbing you from the side as both of your hands are sticking out.

i have a pretty good technique from a sprawl when you have 1 underhook:
if you can pass their arm on the overhooked side your underhooked arm, then shift around to the overhooked side of their body while holding on to the passed arm with your overhook, then you have a chickenwing wristlock.

there are 6 ways the wrist doesnt bend and tons of ways to bend it those ways, just the only ways i have officially trained arent "grappling" techniques. So im trying to figure out ways to convert them to grappling.

aussjj
03-08-2007, 08:47 AM
if you hold your lapel, belt, or other hand ,even if your in a bad position , you should be able to resist most wrist locks

yes, without striking wristlocks are difficult because you can simply tighten your wrist without any negative consequences. In mma, the gloves make it very difficult. In any sort of competition, the opponents composure makes it very difficult.

VicDienekes
03-08-2007, 01:26 PM
if an arm is isolated, but you cant get a lock, triangle, or whatever, there are a number of ways i have learned to use wristlocks.

from a clinch, ive found it pretty difficult. not if someone is being wild, but if theyre hunched over in wrestling posture. attempting a wristlock from a clinch will usually result in the other person tightening there grip, then grabbing you from the side as both of your hands are sticking out.

i have a pretty good technique from a sprawl when you have 1 underhook:
if you can pass their arm on the overhooked side your underhooked arm, then shift around to the overhooked side of their body while holding on to the passed arm with your overhook, then you have a chickenwing wristlock.

That chickenwing from sprawl sounds pretty sweet....I might give a go tomorrow night and see I can catch anyone.

Nice thinking on your part

ninjashoes
03-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Isnt what Royce did to Akebono a wristlock?

aussjj
03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Isnt what Royce did to Akebono a wristlock?

either a wristlock or shouldlock, but it was pretty sloppy. akebono just sucks.

and again, it was from an isolated arm.

Cameron
03-08-2007, 08:43 PM
um i know them and when goofing with budies at work i pull them off on them but they know nothing i dont think that i would be able to get any in competition. i dont like the moves to hard to get injuries and are very painfull also think that most competitions ban them.

aussjj
03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
um i know them and when goofing with budies at work i pull them off on them but they know nothing i dont think that i would be able to get any in competition. i dont like the moves to hard to get injuries and are very painfull also think that most competitions ban them.

only an inside lateral wristlock is risky because the wrist movement in that direction is extremely limited (equivalant to a heel hook). But others could be if you apply them real fast and hardwhen someone isnt ready. Then again, taht sorta applies to all submissions, wrists are just weaker than elbow, etc.

ninjashoes
03-09-2007, 01:34 AM
know of any instrctionals online?, free ones I mean

aussjj
03-09-2007, 04:36 AM
know of any instrctionals online?, free ones I mean

haha you might be able to pick up things from watching clips of traditional jujutsu and aikido. I know there is some official aikido site that has clips, but they are not instructionals - only there to show off aikido, and without a background in it youd probably have trouble understanding.

wish i could help, ive always wanted to teach grapplers wristlocks and be taught vise-versa. think a lot coudl be learned.
too bad i live in alaska where everything sucks.

aussjj
03-09-2007, 04:52 AM
well i did a quick search and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrist_locks

just to let you know, its not that good.
the information here is pretty basic and doesnt really teach how to apply it. I also looked around for videos, but they were mostly just aikido advertisements.

Sloth
03-09-2007, 07:21 AM
when people do them to me, it's usually to set up something else since I always pull my arm away when people try to wrist lock me. Beyond that, I don't know much about them.

psycho-active
03-10-2007, 07:52 PM
i dont think wristlocks are that good.

Noob
03-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Nothing wrong with them, but I can't claim to have had any special success with them.

nzjujitsu
03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
wristlocks work , but its eaiser to apply on people who dont know what is going on

aussjj
03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
wristlocks work , but its eaiser to apply on people who dont know what is going on

exactly, if you have a solid, tight stance, they are hard to apply.
thats why they are taught in self-defense instead of grappling, although im still not convinced that they cant be effective in grappling. That's why im asking around.

jetjaguar
03-15-2007, 11:45 PM
check out some of gene labell's books. he shows some interesting variations on classic ju jitsu wrist holds
http://www.genelebell.com/images/gallery/bear2big.jpg
http://www.genelebell.com/images/site/genechokingsilverado3.jpg

nzjujitsu
03-16-2007, 02:05 AM
there are some cool wrist locks, i dont know how to explain this one propperly but , when you have some one in that phase in the armbar where they are holding thier arm so it doesnt get armbared.. you can do this wrist lock that i just figured out i cant explain with text lol , sorry pointless post